Be Loud – Be Proud – Be A Charger!
Confederation Secondary School is committed to providing the highest quality programming and opportunities in a challenging , supportive and safe learning environment where best practices, life-long learning, personal development and responsible citizenship are fostered.
- Promoting best practices for student success
- Promoting a dedication to life-long learning, physical well-being, a sense of self-worth, and responsible citizenship through community involvement
- Providing and promoting ongoing professional growth for all staff
- Providing character education instruction by promoting core values of respect, honesty, responsibility, self-control, courtesy, tolerance, integrity, initiative, and perseverance as well as respect for self, others and the environment
- Providing a caring and safe environment that recognizes the rights and dignity of all
- Providing equitable opportunity for all students to access services and programs within available resources
Confederation Secondary School was officially opened on April 20th, 1968 by Roger Allan, Superintendent of Education of the then Valley East Board of Education. The school had been offering classes in the evening out of another school since September of 1967. (It was, after all, a centennial school.)
Since this time, the school has strived to achieve the ideals expressed above under the guidance of administrators, teachers and support staff. While remaining true to its community school principles, Confederation Secondary School has adapted its programming over the years to meet the diverse learning needs of its student population.
Confederation Secondary School offers English and French Immersion programs from Grades 7 to 12. Situated in Val Caron, Ontario, the school has an enrolment of 563 and draws its students from the communities of Blezard Valley, Val Caron, Val Therese, Hanmer, Capreol and Garson. Citizens from these towns have long recognized Confederation as the school that cares about its students and community.
Today, the school encompasses four shops, five science labs, five computer labs, an outdoor education lab, a library, cafeteria, amphitheatre, gymnasium and weight room, and an outdoor track and soccer/football field. Students have easy access to the community arena and ball field located in our backyard.
Students who attend our community school develop a stong community spirit, close and long lasting friendships, a sense of school and community pride, and a legacy of memories built on a foundation of excellence in education.
Confederation Secondary School provides a comprehensive Music program for students in grades 9-12. All students have the opportunity to learn to play a band instrument or to continue on a previously learned band instrument. Students who successfully audition for the Jazz Ensemble will attend local and provincial Music Festivals as well as perform in concerts and at assemblies during the school year. In addition to learning an instrument, music teaches the skills of time management, flexibility, teamwork and discipline.